Pool heaters are specially designed devices used to increase or maintain the temperature of water in a swimming pool. They are used to extend swimming time and also for a comfortable swim. You will find them in swimming pools that are normally used for recreation purposes and warm pools have a host of health benefits associated with swimming. When the cold season arrives, a warm pool will transform the swimming experience. Investing in the best pool heater is important so that you can swim whenever you like, whether it is cold or not, during the day or even at night.
Types of Pool Heaters
There are basically four types of pool heating systems. Each of them is good in its own capacity. Your choice will be dependent on your needs, desires, budget and physical location of the pool in your home.
1. Solar pool heaters
These are the most popular types of solar heater. This is because of their advantage in using the most affordable energy source, which is the energy from the sun. This type of heater works by direct transfer of heat. The system works by circulating the water in the pool through its collector, which is usually located on your roof. There are those that work with a digital controller, which sends water to the roof whenever there is sufficient sunshine, as long as the pool needs some heating. This is the best pool heater for recreational pool owners who want a heating system that will not cost them much money and one that can be relied upon when people want to use the pool. This heater is also able to produce heat within the pool for longer.
2. Electric element pool heaters
These types of heaters are usually built to draw their energy from electricity. They are easy to install. Furthermore, they work like electric kettles; the same way there is direct heat transfer between the immersed element and the pool water. They are usually small in size, which makes them ideal for use where the pool is smaller in size. They are also the best to use where there is no gas supply. When it comes to cost, you will invest more in these than in the solar pool heaters. These are the best types of pool heaters to use in spas, because they are more compact and help the pool reach a high temperature in good time.
3. Electric heat pumps
These types of pool heaters are also called solar heat pumps. They are very unique. This is because they are able to capture heat value from air temperature and then turn this into water heating at a high efficiency. They are best to use by pool owners who want to enjoy their swimming all year round. They are energy efficient pool heaters since they do not emit any air pollution. They also have the advantage of being environmentally friendly as they use a renewable energy source.
4. Gas pool heaters
These are rapid pool heaters, and are quite popular in many households and spas. They work by burning natural gas or propane so that heat can be created. A combustion chamber is where the gas is burnt, and then the water from the pool will pass through coils and heat up. For years, these types of heaters were the most popular on the market.
Best Natural Gas Pool Heater Reviews
1. Hayward H400FDN Universal H-Series Low NOx 400,000 BTU Natural Gas Residential Pool and Spa Heater
This heater will let you control your swim season and offers luxurious comfort that fits the lifestyle that comes with a heated pool or spa. The heater is environmental friendly because of its low NOx emissions. It also has excellent hydraulic performance due to the patented polymer header design.
Furthermore, it features a combustion system to help move air around. The result is that outside weather variables such as high wind conditions do not affect the heating performance. This pool heater is suitable for use in salt based or aggressive water chemistry conditions as it is highly durable.
In addition, it offers protection from the damaging effects of erosion. To determine the temperature of the water, an LED digital control panel can be clearly read, and it is also highly intuitive. Water is kept warmer for longer than other heaters.
Our Rating: (4.3 / 5)
- Its Cupro nickel state-of-the-art Finn plate heat exchanger is a great feature.
- Saves on energy and is highly reliable.
- It constantly moves air through the combustion chamber at a precise flow rate.
- Its LED digital control panel is intuitive and easy to read.
- It is very easy to install
- It may not be highly effective in larger pools.
2. Hayward H100ID1 H-Series Low NOx 100, 000 BTU Natural Gas Residential Pool and Spa Heater
This is a very powerful above the ground pool heater. It comes with a revolutionary induced draft technology, which ensures superior performance in all wind and weather conditions. It is specially designed for residential use only.
This heater ensures that there is excellent heat, with minimum use of energy. It is easy to use and control, and easy to install due to the simple plug-in 120V electric cord.
This is a good choice for pools that are less than 450 square feet. It is worth noting that performance may be affected if it is used in areas where the elevation is greater than 2000 feet above sea level.
Our Rating: (3.8 / 5)
- It has a very reliable direct electric ignition that can be used for an easy and automatic operation.
- Its cabinet surface is cool to the touch; it does not heat up
- Comes with a simple plug-in 120V electric cord for an easy installation process
- It has an induced draft technology that ensures optimum heating and great performance in all weather conditions
- It is not effective in areas that are 2000 feet above sea level.
3. Zodiac Jandy LXi LX1400PN 400K BTU Propane Gas Polymer Header Pool and Spa Heater with Cupro-Nickel Tubes Exchanger
This is a very environmental friendly pool heater because of its low NOx emissions. This gives its users the confidence to enjoy a warm pool knowing that the air around them is not affected. It comes with a high efficiency C-Fin heat exchanger, which is designed to lower its operation costs and facilitate users with amazing savings.
This heater is one of the highest rated pool heaters in terms of efficiency. Its fan-assisted combustion and hot surface ignition systems are its other great features. To manage the temperature, there is a feature rich control panel with an excellent backlit display.
Figuring out the functions for operation is not challenging, as the menu is simplified. This pool heater is known to deliver maximum performance in all weather conditions.
Our Rating: (5.0 / 5)
- Low NOx emissions are great for environment.
- High performance in all weather conditions due to fan assisted combustion and surface ignition system
- Operating costs are very low because of the C-Fin head exchanger. The long term result of this is savings.
- Control panel has a wide range of features.
- It can be used for both pools and spas. It has an in-built touch automation, which can help you switch form pool to spa very easily.
- Does not come with a pressure relief valve
Best Propane Gas Pool Heaters
1. Hayward H150FDP Universal H-Series Low NOx 150, 000 BTU Propane Gas Residential Pool and Spa Heater
This pool heater has the advantage of advanced technology and universal fit flexibility. It is the best choice for either new or existing installations. It is a new design, offering left-side or right-side electric gas and water connections, with an 110V or a 220V electric connection.
This pool heater is a lightweight design, with an enhanced adaptability and a modern low-profile appearance. Furthermore, it uses silicon hot surface igniters, stainless steel burners, insulated combustion chambers and cupro nickel heat exchangers, all which add to its durability.
It also features front-panel only access, which is required for both installation and servicing. These are what make it compatible with almost all new or existing systems and equipment pad configurations.
Our Rating: (4.3 / 5)
- It has an easy to use digital LED control panel
- It guarantees high performance for less time
- Its low NOx emissions mean that it is environmental friendly.
- It is a strong system that has been built to last.
- It is universally designed for easy and flexible professional installation
- It is designed for residential use only
2. Pentair 460737 MasterTemp High performance Eco-Friendly Pool Heater, Propane Gas, 400, 000 BTU
This is a high performing heater, the best you can get if you are looking for an energy efficient pool heater. Energy efficiency is primarily due to speed as it will heat your pool or spa up very fast. It uses a manual gas shut-off during servicing.
It has been certified for low NOx emissions, and it does even better than the industrial standards. It comes with a rotating digital display, to give the user an easy view. It has tough, exterior handles that are rustproof and able to handle the heat and all kinds of weathers.
Our Rating: (3.5 / 5)
- It is small in size, therefore every convenient to use
- Its high performance is guaranteed
- It certified for low NOx emissions, therefore you can enjoy peace of mind as you heat your pool or spa with an environmental friendly pool heater
- It is very easy to install
- It heats up really quick, therefore you will not be delayed to enjoy your pool or spa
- Its rotating digital display is easy to use.
- It is energy efficient therefore very cost effective
- It has a manual gas shut-off which can be used whenever it needs some servicing
- It is an investment in comparison to the other lower priced similar heaters.
3. Sta-Rite SR400LP Max-E-Therm Pool and Spa Heater, Propane, 400,000 BTU
This pool heater has been designed using the most advanced technology. It has a weather-proof frame, controls that are easy to use and an environmentally friendly exhaust. It is best to use for indoor as well as outdoor pools and spas.
This heater comes with an LED temperature readout that has dual thermostat controls. It is a highly efficient pool heater, which makes it very economical to use. It has been designed to heat pools really fast; therefore, you will experience minimal delays when using it.
Its control panel is mounted at the top, with a large format digital display that comes with indicator lights, which pinpoints the heater or system conditions. This attractive feature is also functional, as it is possible to troubleshoot very easily. It has been certified for low NOx emissions.
Our Rating: (3.7 / 5)
- Its heater enclosure is made of dura-glass, therefore it is able to handle heat and weather conditions very well
- It is very light in weight and comes in a compact design, making it easy to use
- It has been certified for low NOx emissions and is safe to use as it does not affect the air around it
- It is economical to operate and you will enjoy great savings with this high energy efficient pool heater
- It comes with an easy to read digital LED temperature readout
- It is built to last with a weather-proof frame
- It is able to heat very fast and is reliable if you are in a hurry to use the pool
- It is only designed for residential use
Electric Pool Heater
Ecosmart US Smart Pool 27 Electric Pool Heater
This heater operates by use of the latest flow sensor technology and not the traditional pressure switch activation. This makes it very easy to control. This is also what enables it to reduce the risk of burned elements. The effect of this is that the heater is longer lasting, and also has increased reliability.
It is a very modern pool heater that looks great. It comes with a digital thermostat control that you can use to set the temperature at the exact point you want. When in use, it makes limited noise so you will barely know that it is there. It is designed to be highly efficient.
Our Rating: (3.1 / 5)
- It heats the pool very quickly making it possible for you to use the swimming pool whenever you want.
- It comes with an Ecosmart remote control making it much easier to operate.
- It can also be used as an alternative to a heat pump or even as its booster
- The digital thermostat control gives the user total control as you can set your preferred temperatures
- The protection of the internal components is not excellent. This means that over time, it can get damaged by humidity as well as water.
Best Solar Pool Heater
Fafco Above Ground Solar Bear Solar Heating System- 4’ x 20’’ Panel
This is a very easy to install pool heating system and in as little as 30 minutes, you can enjoy a comfortable swim in a heated pool. The system comes already pre-plumbed, with plugs, elbows, installation hardware and instructions to follow for a complete installation.
One excellent feature it has is the in-built manual bypass that makes it possible switch it on and off with ease. It’s a system that will also add great value not just to your pool but to your home as well. This system is able to heat an 18’ to 24’ round pool with optimum efficiency.
It has been designed to work very well with all pool pumps. Each of these panels can give your pool water a 10-degree temperature rise. To add on to its overall reliability, it has a warranty of ten years.
Our Rating: (4.1 / 5)
- Installing this heater is simple, and can be done by anyone within minutes
- Easy to turn on and off
- Each panel is effective in heating pool water, by providing a 10-degree rise.
- It can be installed on the ground beside the pool or roof, and can even be placed on rake above the pool.
- It uses solar energy and is highly affordable. This is a plus for someone who wants to save on energy costs but still enjoy a comfortable pool.
- Some parts are not included when delivered, and will need to be purchased for maximum efficiency.
Best Pool Heat Pump Reviews
1. Hayward HP21404T HeatPro Titanium 140, 000 BTU AHRI Residential Pool Heat Pump
If you are looking for a highly reliable, efficient and a quiet pool heating system, this is a perfect choice. This model includes titanium counter-flow heat exchangers, which guarantees unmatched performance, even in the harshest weather conditions. Its evaporator fin is made of ultra-gold corrosion resistant material.
You can trust its durability even if you are living in the coastal regions. Its body panels are also very durable. They are UV resistant as well as resistant to rusting and deterioration. It is designed to last for a long time It is able to resist rusting as well as deterioration. It is quite strong too and is classified as a heavy duty model that uses very quiet scroll compressors.
Our Rating: (4.4 / 5)
- Its performance is uncompromised, possibly due to the titanium counter-flow heat exchanges
- This heater is durable
- It fees strong and sturdy
- Its hardware is made of a stainless steel material to keep it safe from harsh weather conditions.
- It compressors are heavy duty and super quiet
- It is big. Ensure you have enough space before you order for it.
2. Hayward HP50TA Residential Pool Heat Pump Titanium 50, 000 BTU AHRI
This is a great performing pool heater that incorporates titanium counter-flow heat exchangers. This keeps it working well even during harsh weather conditions. It is heavy duty, therefore very strong and not easily damaged.
This, plus its high quality compressors, durable body panels and stainless steel hardware will give you great performance for a very long time. The heater’s scroll compressors are very quiet, ensuring that you are enjoying heating up your pool with minimal noise. Its body panels are UV and rust resistant, therefore minimal maintenance and replacements will be needed.
Our Rating: (4.4 / 5)
- You can rely on this pool heater to enjoy swimming all year round.
- The heater is light in weight, and compact in design, therefore very easy to handle and use
- Installing it is very easy, and you can service it from time to time for better service delivery
- The titanium heat exchanger is designed to give the heater maximum heat transfer, efficiency and reliability. You can count on it for a warm pool up to the temperature of your choice.
- Its body panels are well protected against UV damage and rust
- Its electrical hook up is far from the opening, leaving you with a lead electrical line on your whip.
Pool Heater Buying Guide
It is important to know that there is a wide range of makes and models when it comes to pool heaters. This is what makes it challenging to choose the right one to match your needs. As much as you would want to step into a warm and comfortable pool, you need to consider a few factors to arrive at the right choice of a pool that will satisfy your needs fully. The cost of maintenance should be top of mind, as well as where you are planning to place your pool heater.
When it comes to budget, it is good to remember that solar heaters operate at no cost at all; therefore, they might be the best option for long term cost effectiveness. For this reason, they require more of an investment when you initially choose to purchase them. They also heat pools quite slowly and therefore may not be highly reliable especially during the coldest seasons.
Heat pumps on the other hand are highly reliable for anyone who would like to swim at their own convenience – no matter what the weather conditions may be. These types of heaters use electrical energy and due to their high level of efficiency, they are very inexpensive to operate.
Gas heaters heat pools quite fast and they are able to maintain the temperature of a pool for a longer period of time. They are very expensive to operate though and are not as efficient as the heat pumps.
Finally, electric resistance heaters are less expensive when compared to the three above but they require more electricity to operate, making them more expensive on long-term. They are also more costly to install. They however have zero emissions, making them absolutely safe for use in smaller pools and spas that are used more frequently.
Enjoying a pool is hard when the water is extremely cold. Cold pools cut down on your overall swim time, and may even have an adverse effect on health. That is why you need a pool heater in order to get the most out of your swimming pool. Extending your swimming season and being able to swim any time of the day is great but only in a water pool that is warm especially when the weather conditions are unfavorable. The Sta-Rite SR400LP Max-E-Therm Pool and Spa Heater, Propane, 400, 000 BTU is a perfect choice for a user who is looking or a lightweight, compact in design, lower operating costs, durable and highly reliable pool heater for either a swimming pool or a spa.