Automatic pool cleaners are perhaps the best inventions man has ever made since he decided to put up his own artificial pool inside his domain. Without the need to manually operate them, they are intended to work like vacuum cleaners while underwater.
These machines are specially designed to automatically scrub out dirt and suck up debris on pool tiles’ surfaces. To make them do their jobs alone, some of them are installed with smart software to enable themselves navigate throughout the area of the pool.
But much to our awe, there’s a lot of confusion among the best automatic pool cleaners going on that gives us the confusion which of these would be just perfect for our needs.
Well, we all have our personal choices. So what we did was, we took a good look among the 10 best rated and came up with the best automatic pool cleaners reviews.
Here is what we got.
- 1 Top 10 Best Automatic Pool Cleaner Reviews
- 1.1 1. Dolphin 99996323 Dolphin Nautilus Robotic Pool Cleaner with Swivel Cable, 60-Feet
- 1.2 2. BARACUDA G3 W03000 Advanced Suction Side Automatic Pool Cleaner
- 1.3 3. Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 Pressure Side Pool Cleaner
- 1.4 4. Hayward Poolvergnuegen 896584000020 The PoolCleaner Automatic 4-Wheel Suction Cleaner for Concrete Pools
- 1.5 5. Zodiac F5B Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 Black Max Pressure Side Pool Cleaner
- 1.6 6. Pentair 360032 Kreepy Krauly Prowler 830 Robotic Inground Pool Cleaner with 60 Foot Cord
- 1.7 7. Polaris F9450 Sport Robotic In-Ground Swimming Pool Cleaner Vacuum 4-Wheel Drive
- 1.8 8. Hayward RC9740 SharkVac Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner
- 1.9 9. Hayward RC9990GR TigerShark QC Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner with Quick Clean Technology
- 1.10 10. Pentair GW7900 Automatic Pool Cleaner for Kreepy Krauly SandShark Inground Swimming Pool
- 2 Best Automatic Pool Cleaners Buying Guide
- 3 Conclusion
Top 10 Best Automatic Pool Cleaner Reviews
1. Dolphin 99996323 Dolphin Nautilus Robotic Pool Cleaner with Swivel Cable, 60-Feet
This robotic pool cleaner is really an amazing pool scrubber, an underwater vacuum cleaner and can clean your medium-size swimming pool including walls in just three hours. You read it right. It can climb up walls while automatically adjusting its path to cover all surfaces of walls, coves and floor area.
With a patented swivel cable, you don’t have to worry it will tangle itself so there’s no need to help it manually that other automatic pool cleaners have this issue.
It’s a plug-n-play, so you just plug its cord on an electrical socket, drop the Dolphin pool cleaner slowly on the pool and it will work continuously. Its scanner helps it to avoid going out of the pool’s surfaces so there’s no worry it will lost its way out.
Our Rating: (4.3 / 5)
- Equipped with easy-to-clean cartridge filter.
- Patented swivel cable to prevent tangles.
- Installed with smart software and a scanner.
- No need to program.
- 60-feet cable.
- 12-months warranty for parts and labor.
- No need to connect to any pool system.
- Comes with filters installed and extra set for small dirt particles.
- Filters are easy to remove, clean and install.
- Best use for in-ground residential pools that are up to 50 feet long.
- Lightweight, user-friendly.
- Very silent.
- Not very efficient in cleaning pool steps.
- Missing spots sometimes.
- Cannot handle large debris or this usually gets stuck on the intake slot.
2. BARACUDA G3 W03000 Advanced Suction Side Automatic Pool Cleaner
With very basic assembly, no wheels, flappers or gears, this Baracuda pool cleaner is for those who want sure cleaning result for their in-ground pools. Unlike other automatic pool cleaners that only cleans out slime, algae and other small debris, this unit can remove all things in its path.
Examples are small debris, broken twigs, sand, leaves, algae, dirt, pebbles and even algae on walls.
The G3 has a single moving part which is the Long-Life Diaphragm. With a self-adjusting flow control valve, it can regulate the flow of water automatically even your pump runs on low horsepower.
As a suction pool cleaner, this unit automatically slide by your pump’s sucking power which propels it to slowly slide forward and do its cleaning job.
Our Rating: (4.3 / 5)
- Powerful but quiet suction power.
- Equipped with 36-Fin Disc to ensure grip on pool surfaces.
- Compatible with multi-speed pumps.
- Comes with Wheel Deflector for navigating on tight corners.
- Works with FlowKeeper Valve to regulate the flow of water.
- With patented quick release cassette for easy maintenance.
- With durable Long-Life Diaphragm and scratch resistant hoses.
- Easy to assemble.
- Perfect cleaning tool to suck small to medium-sized debris.
- Thoroughly cleans your pool’s floor.
- Can clean even dirt on wall.
- Can only perform better with lower pump pressure.
- Pump pressure may need to be monitored.
- Not at its best in navigating tight corners.
- Not efficient in climbing up pool stairs.
3. Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 Pressure Side Pool Cleaner
This 4-wheeled Polaris bestselling unit is a reliable pressure-side pool cleaner best use for in-ground pools of any size. However, to make it work it needs a booster pump (PB4-60) to power its suction operation and do its cleaning process. Powered by two jets to move itself around, it can suck everything in its path.
Like other durable automatic pool cleaners that can service you for yours, this pool cleaner is a tough one and seldom fail with its efficient scrubbing, sweeping and vacuuming jobs. Efficient on any type of pool surfaces, it leaves no trace of dirt behind it.
Equipped with a chamber filter bag where it keeps all kinds of debris, it can even pick up acorns, pebbles and leaves. With a dedicated booster pump, this is basically designed as a long-lasting suction pool cleaner.
Our Rating: (4.4 / 5)
- With 3 large and 1 small rubberized wheels for sure grip.
- Equipped with a floater for balance.
- With a hose sweeper that continuously sways and shoots out water to stir dirt along its path.
- Pressure suction cleaner with easy to clean filter bag.
- With a dedicated 1.5 inch pressure cleaner line.
- Box includes 280 Pressure-side pool cleaner, one chamber filter bar, 31-feet connectable hose kit and assembly and operating instructions.
- Works on all types of in-ground pools.
- Very durable it can last years of use.
- Body with rugged construction with few parts.
- Easy to assemble and connect.
- Needs to have own booster pump.
- Almost incapable to scale walls or stairs.
- Prone to leaks.
4. Hayward Poolvergnuegen 896584000020 The PoolCleaner Automatic 4-Wheel Suction Cleaner for Concrete Pools
This Hayward product can be used on any pool size. With self-adjusting turbine vanes to maximize its suction power and allow even large debris to pass through, it also has an adjustable skirt for height and tire treads to climb up walls. This unit can cover all the pool’s surfaces even at low pressure.
With an internal program, it can steer itself by turning the left wheel for reverse and enable it to go to other directions. It can even go and pass through uneven surfaces or sharp curves.
With three interchangeable throats, it also let you adjust its suction performance at lower pressure so this is simply compatible with speed pumps with variable speeds.
Our Rating: (4.3 / 5)
- Self-adjusting turbine vanes for maximum power even at low pump pressure.
- Robust tire treads for more enhanced wall climbing ability and maneuverability.
- Adjustable skirt to optimize suction even on uneven surfaces.
- Multiple pre-programmed internal steering systems.
- Interchangeable throats to optimize suction performance.
- Compatible with variable speed pumps.
- Very easy to assemble and install.
- 4-wheel drive for maximum cleaning even for large and deep pools.
- Can pick up large debris.
- Can climb walls and pass through obstacles.
- No need to constantly monitor
- Hard debris can lodge in the gear teeth which greatly reduces suction power.
- Some issues with its hose connectors that easily leaks.
- Can have hard times climbing the walls.
5. Zodiac F5B Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 Black Max Pressure Side Pool Cleaner
Some people say this is another version of the Polaris Vac-Sweep 280 white but only colored black. And they may be right. So essentially, its black color makes it easy for you to see it under water and know what it’s doing and where it’s going. Best for in-ground pools, it also need a Polaris booster pump to work.
With a 31-feet feeding hose, it can cover long and wide pools while its dedicated connector tube can easily fit to any 1.5-inch pressure cleaner line.
Our Rating: (4.4 / 5)
- Powerful suction power.
- Powered by 2 jet nozzles to help it move forward.
- 3 soft rubberized large wheels and 1 small wheel for balancing and climbing walls.
- Hose sweeper to stir out dirt for easy suction.
- With an all-purpose filter bag.
- Included in the package is the black 280 pool cleaner, 31 feet connective host kit, single chamber filter bag and operating and assembly instructions.
- Easy to see underwater.
- Best use for all types of in-ground pools with uneven terrains and surfaces.
- Solid black body construction.
- Can last many years of use.
- Easy to connect to any skimmer pool line.
- Must have its dedicated booster pump.
- Tend to get stuck on sharp corners.
- Can have hard time scaling walls on low suction pressure.
6. Pentair 360032 Kreepy Krauly Prowler 830 Robotic Inground Pool Cleaner with 60 Foot Cord
The Kreepy Krauly is said to be one of the best automatic pool cleaners many pool owners enjoy having. With an updated version Prowler 830, it now has a more advanced design scrubs, more powerful vacuum and easy to clean filters. Accordingly, it can clean most pools in less than three hours.
With a wireless remote programming, it will allow you to program the day of its cleaning. You also don’t have to worry it will get stuck in one corner because it has its auto-reverse feature that back itself up when it can’t be able to move from one position.
It is also hassle free – no hoses, no booster pump but only plugging it in a power supply socket and it will work as designed.
Our Rating: (4.3 / 5)
- With advanced design scrubs for thorough scrubbing.
- Powerful vacuum.
- Wireless remote control.
- Programmable schedule cleaning through remote control.
- Detects hang-ups.
- Can switch to auto-reverse when stuck.
- Integrated filter system.
- Full cartridge indicator.
- Easy to release and clean filter cartridge.
- Cleaner components are certified to UL standards.
- With swivel cable.
- Adaptable to 120 and 220 voltage.
- No installation needed.
- Can climb walls.
- No booster pump and hoses needed.
- Capable to vacuum all kinds of debris.
- Can pick up any dirt including leaves.
- Can climb stairs.
- Scrub floor efficiently even algae.
- A bit heavy when pulling it out from the water.
- Power cable not properly sealed.
- Missing gasket around filters on some units.
- Can get stuck on corners for few minutes.
7. Polaris F9450 Sport Robotic In-Ground Swimming Pool Cleaner Vacuum 4-Wheel Drive
Using Vortex Vacuum Technology, this in-ground pool cleaner can pass and clean through any terrain and even climb walls without difficulties. It can scrub the floor efficiently with its two pleated scrubbing brush and can take everything in its path.
With a bigger filter canister, it has four times capacity than most pool cleaners so you save a lot of time in hauling it off from the pool. Cleaning out the debris is also easy.
With a user-friendly box programmer, you can program up to 7-day cleaning and it will work right on schedule. You can program to clean only the floor or walls or both and can command to scale the wall so you can haul it easily to clean.
Watch this video to see how this machine does its job.
Our Rating: (4.1 / 5)
- Equipped with two large pleated sturdy brushes.
- Large inlet opening to enable large debris to pass through.
- Very sturdy and compact built.
- Top access cleaning.
- Featured with an ActivMotion Sensor to sense its path automatically.
- Up to 7-day programmable cleaning cycle.
- Option to clean only floor, walls or both.
- Equipped with filter 4 X bigger than ordinary pool cleaners.
- Features new lift system that enables it to surface with the push of a button.
- Can clean pool up to 50 feet long.
- Comes with 60 feet cord.
- Only weighs 16 pounds.
- Comes with a transport caddy.
- 2-year limited warranty.
- Very compact with simple design.
- Large rubberized wheels help it to go over terrains.
- Easy to program and operate.
- Programming box is a huge advantage.
- Large filter bag can carry four times more debris.
- Easy to open shell for quick debris cleaning.
- Has a more effective capability to climb walls.
- With swivel cord to prevent tangling.
- Has a tendency to flip when trying to climb walls.
- Not always efficient in cleaning up walls.
- Remote box not always reliable.
8. Hayward RC9740 SharkVac Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner
This unit also belongs to Hayward’s TigerShark automatic pool cleaners family, the robotic pool cleaners with top access debris chamber equipped with easy-to-clean filtration cartridges.
Efficient with many types of pool surfaces, it is loaded with a tough scrubbing brush that would scrub any dirt before getting sucked up.
Using only 24V electricity power, this is equivalent to your home’s light bulb energy consumption so whenever you want to clean your pool, you have all the energy saving cost going on.
No hose attachment, no booster pump required and operates fully automatic and self-contained. Just plug it in on an 110V socket and it will program itself to follow its cleaning pattern. With a 50 feet long cord, this can reach your pool’s every corner.
Our Rating: (4.0 / 5)
- Plug and play.
- Programmable cleaning cycle.
- Equipped with a microprocessor, it creates its own cleaning pattern.
- Top access for easy filter cleaning.
- With two fine porous filtration elements.
- Equipped with a tough, rubberized scrubber for all types of dirt.
- 50 feet cord to cover medium size pools.
- Designed for in-ground pools up to 20 ft. x 40 ft.
- Very economical to use.
- Can be used for salt and fresh water.
- Efficient in picking up even large debris (e.g. leaves and branches)
- Compact and sturdy built.
- Very easy to use. No tools required.
- Easy to clean filters.
- No attachment except power cord.
- Not very good at climbing walls.
- Heavier than standard robotic pool cleaners.
- Once it flipped over, can have hard time getting up.
- Pulling it from the water may spill out some of the collected debris.
9. Hayward RC9990GR TigerShark QC Automatic Robotic Pool Cleaner with Quick Clean Technology
If you want to save up with your energy bills but always want to have a clean pool, this TigerShark can be a nice thing to consider. It can actually save you around 94 percent on energy use compared to other pressure cleaners popular around the world.
Right out of the box, just plug it in on your electrical socket and it can cover your 20 feet x 40 feet swimming pool from the bottom and all sides.
Equipped with auto shut-off function, it stops working after 3 hours of cleaning while estimating your pool’s size and pattern to program it for the next cleaning.
This machine works by brushing and scrubbing dirt. To clean out the collected debris, just open the top case, retrieve the cartridge element and spray debris with a garden hose.
Our Rating: (3.9 / 5)
- Comes with a switch box for programming and on/off function.
- Automatically shuts down after 3 hours.
- On-board computer program that calculates the dimension of the pool.
- Patented Quick Clean technology for quick 90-minute cycle.
- Equipped with 24 DC Volt motor for energy efficient usage.
- With a powerful on-board pump.
- Ideal pool cleaner for pools up to 20 feet by 40 feet.
- Energy efficient.
- Easy to retrieve and clean filters.
- Can pick up grass, leaves and scrubs out algae.
- Programmable cleaning level from quick clean to full clean.
- Solidly built with well-constructed design.
- Some of its plastic parts can easily break.
- Cord normally gets tangled.
10. Pentair GW7900 Automatic Pool Cleaner for Kreepy Krauly SandShark Inground Swimming Pool
This in-ground automatic pool cleaner is equipped with a programmable steering system that can maneuver itself on terrains, tight corners and side ladders. It cleans by doing vibrating motion while its underside rubber ridges also stir the dirt before its gets vacuumed.
With its 33 feet hose and skimmer hook, you just connect the machine on your skimmer line and it will do its work automatically. It runs by jet action and the sucking power caused by the pool pump. Simply, this is an efficient scrubber and vacuum that is almost maintenance-free.
Our Rating: (4.2 / 5)
- Comes with 10 40-inch hoses (33 feet total).
- Includes hose for skimmer hook-up and side port attachment.
- Can climb wall.
- Picking up average size debris is not an issue.
- Can scrub and clean out algae.
- Ideal for small to medium-size pools.
- Economical pool cleaner.
- Debris is collected on the pool’s pump filtration system.
- Composed of gears which may need replacements over time.
- Slow moving.
- Cannot pick up large, heavy debris like acorns.
- Not ideal for large pools.
Here’s a video showing its parts, how it cleans and the kinds of debris it can manage to suck up.
Best Automatic Pool Cleaners Buying Guide
When buying automatic pool cleaners, it is best to get advises from the best automatic pool cleaners reviews. This is because you can read a lot about pool cleaners’ brands and their advantages and failures from it.
Especially if the reviews also source out hands-on information from the actual users, there are no restrictions in telling whatsoever the real score about the products.
Nonetheless, here are some quick guides to help you identify which automatic pool cleaners could best provide you your needs:
- Will it be suction, pressure or robotics?
- Suction cleaners need to be attached to the filtration box and use the pump’s filtration system to vacuum debris. Very economical, no electricity use needed.
- Pressure cleaners need booster pumps and hoses to be connected on the pool wall. It’s kind of messy but the suction power is much powerful than suction cleaners.
- Robotic or electric self-propelled cleaners need electricity to operate. They are best for large pools.
- Length of the Hose
A good 50-60 feet hose is much better than a shorter hose. This enables the pool cleaner to roam around the pool freely.
- Capacity to navigate and climb up walls and steps
The ideal automatic pool cleaners must not get stranded on corners and be able to climb up including walls and steps or any hindrances without difficulties to complete its mission.
- Durable brushes, strong vacuum power and capacity to take even large debris
This are actually obvious features but there are some good brands that fail in these criteria.
So far, we have seen a lot of performance with these best automatic pool cleaners and they generally perform well. And although some of them have earned negative reviews which is already expected, we have picked up our own brand as the best among these. And this is the Pentair 360032 Kreepy Krauly.
Why we love this automatic pool cleaner is its well-designed scrubbers, powerful vacuum feature and wireless remote control that will let you program its cleaning schedule. With the usual problem of getting stuck on sharp corners on most units, this one has its auto-reverse control so once it stays in one position for less than 2 minutes maximum, it reverses itself and goes to other directions.
There’s also no need for the messy hoses or connectors and it’s a simply plug-and-play unit. Once it gets full with debris as you can see on the cartridge indicator, you’ll know you need to dislodge its load as needed.
Moreover, we also like some of the automatic pool cleaners best features. But because of their insignificant failures on some aspects, we feel that we deserve better and our chosen unit has it all.
We know you also have your own choices and may have tested some of these units. But if you are anticipating in purchasing other units and leaving out your old unit, this best automatic pool cleaners review might be a good basis to check out other units’ features, pros and cons.
Please share this blog if some of your friends need ideas on which automatic pool cleaners to buy.