Above ground pools have gained popularity due to their simplicity and cost effectiveness. The systems are quick to set up and can be dismantled during the winter period. They come in different shapes, sizes and prices. Before selecting the right best above ground pools, it is important to consider these factors.
All of the pools come with accessories that enable the system to work efficiently. They include filters and cartridge pumps, a ladder, liner and pool covers. The capacity of the pools also varies and provide options depending on the number of people using the pool. The various sections discussed such as the benefits, eight different types of pools and the buying guide create more insight on above ground pools.
The pools can be purchased in online and physical stores countrywide. Some of the best above ground pools available in the market include:
- 1 Top 10 Best Above Ground Pool Reviews
- 1.1 1. Intex 18ft X 52in Ultra Frame Pool Set
- 1.2 2. Intex Rectangular Ultra Frame Pool Set, 24-Feet by 12-Feet by 52-Inch
- 1.3 3. iPool D Set (iPool I with Deluxe Filter Pump and Heater Combination)
- 1.4 4. Intex 12ft X 30in Metal Frame Pool Set with Filter Pump
- 1.5 5. Embassy Pool 4-1800 PARA100 Above Ground Swimming Pool
- 1.6 6. Splash Pools Round Deluxe Pool Package, 24-Feet by 52-Inch
- 1.7 7. Intex 12ft X 30in Easy Set Pool Set with Filter Pump
- 1.8 8. Heritage TA 301552GP-DXP Taos Complete Above Ground Pool
- 2 Benefits of above ground pools
- 3 Above Ground Pools Buying Guide
- 4 How to maintain above ground pools
- 5 Conclusion
Top 10 Best Above Ground Pool Reviews
1. Intex 18ft X 52in Ultra Frame Pool Set
The Ultra Frame pool set is a pool with a water capacity of 6,981 gallons. The product has steel frames that are strong and durable for support. The side walls of the pool are laminated and reinforced with around bands to sustain the legs in place.
The sections that come with this pool include a removable ladder, sand filter pump, pool liner, ground cloth and debris cover. The ladder is made of steps that are hi-impact and slip-resistant. To prevent corrosion, the ladder is coated. Also, it is designed to be used for a height of 52 inches and a maximum weight capacity of 300 lb.
Our Rating: (4.0 / 5)
The sand filter pump has a rating of 110-120 V with a pump capacity of 2,100 gallons per hour. The system flow rate is 1,600 gallons per hour. The quantity of sand that is used by the system is 50 lbs and is replaced after one year making it convenient to use. The pump also has a timer with pre-set cycles of 2-12 hours.
The ground cloth and debris cover are made of high-quality, durable material. They protect the pool bottom and top respectively. The product also comes with an instructional DVD that guides in set up and maintenance procedures.
Additional features include the T-joint engineered for giving strength, the end cap that grips the frame and dual suction outlet fittings which improve water circulation enhancing clarity and hygiene of pool water.
This pool has a hydro aeration technology that is beneficial because it improves water clarity, circulation and filtration. Also, it promotes the increase of negative ions at the surface of the water that boosts air freshness.
- The pool is easy to set up and maintain
- The product is sturdy, reliable and durable
- It is cost effective
- The salt water system can be used
- It comes with additional sections such as the ground cover, pool liner and ground cloth.
- The sand filter pump works effectively to keep the water clear with little maintenance required.
- The pool is big enough to accommodate many people
- The frames may rust if a scratch exposes it to the conditions
- Should only be placed on an even ground
2. Intex Rectangular Ultra Frame Pool Set, 24-Feet by 12-Feet by 52-Inch
The rectangular frame pool accommodates 8,403 gallons of water when at 90% capacity. The steel frames that support the pool are robust and durable. The steel frames are also powder coated to prevent rusting. Also, it has triple strong sidewalls that are laminated and reinforced with all-round bands. These bands help to keep the frame legs firm.
Our Rating: (4.1 / 5)
The pool comes with a sand filter pump that has a pump capacity of 1,600 gallons per hour. The pump is rated at 120 V and has a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI) that ensures safety by preventing electrocution. A garden hose can be used to drain water from the pool area while connected to the drain plug. Other accessories that accompany the pump include a ladder, debris cover and ground cloth. The product DVD comes in handy to guide in the installation process.
- It is made of quality material making it durable
- It is easy to install
- The system comes with a salt water system
- The rectangular shape makes it look good and it is large enough to accommodate many people
- The product is reasonably priced and it depends on the type of package chosen
- The pump works well
- The pool loses some heat when exposed. A solar cover is recommended to prevent heat loss.
- Unlevelled ground affects the stability and water level of the pump
- It does not come with a skimmer
3. iPool D Set (iPool I with Deluxe Filter Pump and Heater Combination)
The iPool D Set is a small pool that carries about 1,500 gallons of water and is 3.1 feet deep. It is made of lightweight and durable fabric making it easy to move around. The pool is lined with PVC fabric that prevents water losses.
Our Rating: (4.1 / 5)
The product comes with a filter pump and heater that has a pump capacity of 1,000 gallons per hour. Unlike the other pools, the heater makes the pool usable all year round. The cartridge should be replaced every 3 to 6 months while the filter is replaced once a year. The pool has a compact Velcro harness feature that makes the user stay in one section of the pool and is strapped in. The harness is wrapped around the waist and can be adjusted from 22 to 42 inches. It does not allow for the movement of the swimmer.
The accessories that come with the pool include a ladder, floor mat, pool cover and a repair kit. An instruction manual is also available.
- Takes up a small space of about 6m2
- The pool comes with a heater to making the enjoyment of warm water swimming possible
- The pool is suitable for all users
- The pool can also be located indoors
- The resistance provided by the pool features creates a good cardio session
- The product has a one year warranty
- The pool does not accommodate many people
- The movements of a swimmer are regulated
4. Intex 12ft X 30in Metal Frame Pool Set with Filter Pump
The Intex 12 ft. by 30 inches is a circular above ground pool with a capacity of 1,718 gallons when 90% full. It has PVC sidewalls that are laminated and tough to give the pool strength. It has the drain plug feature that allows the drainage of water through a garden hose. This feature if very important as it provides an alternative mode of drainage.
Another important feature is the dual section fittings in the outlet that improve the circulation of water. Circulation of water thus results in the improved hygiene and clarity of the water. The 3-PLY puncture resistant durable material makes the pool resistant tear. This is important because the pool becomes reliable and durable.
Our Rating: (4.1 / 5)
The pool comes with a Krystal cartridge filter pump that is rated between 110 to 120V. The pump has a system flow rate of 1,798 lph and a pump flow rate of 2,006 liters per hour. The pump is simple to install into the pool system and filter cartridge cleans easily. It also meets the CSA and UL standards. The Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter installed acts as a safety mechanism that shuts off the pump if current is exposed to water.
The installation process is stress-free requiring the spreading of the pool liner and assemblage of the metal parts. Finally, the filling follows and the fun begins.
- The system is simple to assemble and dismantle
- The product is affordable compared to other above ground pools
- The instructions in the manual are not as accurate and easy to follow
- The pipe connections are not very durable
5. Embassy Pool 4-1800 PARA100 Above Ground Swimming Pool
The Embassy pool is designed with rugged and baked enamel steel. The wrap around top rails are 9 inches in size and are arranged vertically to support the pool. It has resin top connectors that are taupe-colored.
Our Rating: (5.0 / 5)
The steel wall is made of galvanized copper bearing with a soft and elegant pattern. The wall stability and strength is provided by a staggered bolt wall closure. The product comes with a sand filter pump, skimmer, 1 hp pr omega pump, a heavy duty solid liner, a Pool Vac and ladder.
- It is simple and fast to assemble
- It comes with a skimmer unlike many of the pools available where you buy separately
- It is large enough to accommodate a number of people
- Relatively more expensive than other pools
6. Splash Pools Round Deluxe Pool Package, 24-Feet by 52-Inch
The round deluxe pool with a water capacity of 14,662 gallons. It has a multi-layer protection system that is hot dipped and galvanized G-90. The wall pattern is attractive with a steel frame that is zinc coated. The seams, sections of the pool are vinyl lap-welded and all weather.
Our Rating: (3.7 / 5)
The pool filter is a sand filter that comes with a robust 1 horse power motor. The ladder that provided is made of a heavy duty structural foam molded with resin. The ladder has a swim through barrier and a removable staircase. A standard wall skimmer is also provided. For the installation and maintenance procedures, a step by step video is provided.
- A detailed installation manual and video is provided
- The system works well after installation
- The product is made of high-quality material
- Some bottom plate sections rust after a period.
- The pool is heavy and difficult to move
- It takes a lot of people and time to install
- The liner is not thick enough thus tears easily
7. Intex 12ft X 30in Easy Set Pool Set with Filter Pump
The Intex 12ft by 30 inch pool has a water capacity of 1,485 gallons when 80% full. It is easy to assemble requiring spreading, inflation of the top ring and filling the pool with water. It has laminated PVC sidewalls that are strong. Another great feature is the drain plug which can be connected to the garden hose to drain water from the house or pool area. It also has a dual suction outlet fittings that enhance water circulation improving water clarity.
Our Rating: (3.5 / 5)
It comes with a 110-120v filter pump with a pump flow rate of 530 gallons per hour. Like the other Intex pools, a setup and maintenance DVD is provided to make it stress-free.
- The pool balances properly with the help of the inflatable rings
- It can accommodate about 7 or more adults comfortably
- The system is sturdy and reliable
- The pool is simple to set up
- The filter is not very efficient
8. Heritage TA 301552GP-DXP Taos Complete Above Ground Pool
The heritage TA above ground pool is made of a 7-inch sturdy steel edge that is painted and galvanized. The vinyl overlap liner is the Perma 25 series which is all weather. The bottom is designed with a swirl print.
Our Rating: (3.8 / 5)
It comes with a 19-inch sand filter. Also, a one horse power motor is part of a system. The motor has a safety twist lock plug. A heavy-duty A-frame resin ladder is also provided. It has a flip outside staircase that functions to keep out unwanted swimmers. It also acts as an anti-entrapment barrier. The pool structure has a 25-year manufacturer warranty. The installation video makes the setting up process quick.
- The system can be changed to a salt water system
- The pools accommodates a large number of people
- The ladder is not very stable
- Installing the system is difficult, takes time and requires the assistance of several people
Benefits of above ground pools
They are cheaper compared to permanent pools
Getting an above ground pool will incur some costs such as purchase of the system, shipping charges and installation if done by a professional. However, this option is much cheaper than a permanent pool.
Above ground pools enjoy warmer water temperatures compared to pools built on the ground. This is because they are influenced by the warmer air temperatures above ground. In most cases, permanent pools require a heater to warm the pool which brings in an extra cost. Above ground pools are also easier to winterize.
Since the pools are not fixed in a permanent location, the above ground pools can be moved around. For the case of moving into another house, all that is required is dismantling and transportation. A below ground pool stays where it has been built.
Easier and faster installation
Many of the above ground pools can be fully installed and become operational within a day. For the other type of pools, it may take several weeks or months before the users start to enjoy.
Above ground pools are safer for families with pets and young children. This is because the pools can be readily secured by a fence with a latched gate preventing accidents.
The pools are easier to maintain as they require a smaller number of chemicals for cleaning the water. Also, the sections of the pool are readily accessible and thus it is easy to detect any breakages and repair.
Above ground pools can be easily converted into below ground pools by installing the pools in a dug hole section. Converting the pools is much easier than designing and installing a permanent pool.
Above ground pools are equipped with additional features such as ladders, diving boars, waterfalls and fountains. In addition, other accessories that help in maintenance are usually part of the set. They include covers, liners and skimmers.
Above Ground Pools Buying Guide
There are a variety of pools to choose from as seen above, there are few things to consider before making the final selection. These considerations include;
The shape of the pool
The shapes of pools available include circular, oval and rectangular. The shape does not affect the durability of a pool if installation is done as required. The circular pools have their pressure evenly distributed. Oval and rectangular shaped pools have straps and bracings to overcome the challenge. The pools are also compensated by having more materials that offer support and stability.
When deciding on the shape, consider your preference, and other discussed factors such as price, and the area you have to locate the system.
The size of the pool
The size of the pool is dependent on the number of people that are going to use the pool frequently. The sizes range from 15’ to 33, for round pools. For oval pools, the size ranges from 12’ by 24’ to 21’ by 41’.
Having a large pool sounds like a great idea but apart from size you have to consider the maintenance. A large pool requires more water, chemicals and equipment. There should be a balance between the accommodating factor and maintenance. There are charts available that guide when making the decision depending on the users.
Materials that make up the pool
Materials making the pool are either steel, resin or hybrid which are a combination of steel and resin. Pools with all steel are less expensive but they cannot be used with salt water systems due to corrosion. Salt water systems disintegrate steel pools.
Resin pools, on the other hand, are durable, more expensive than steel pools and made for salt water systems. Hybrid are less expensive than resin. Choosing a durable pool is not only determined by the material but the quality of material. It is important to check the quality of material that manufacturers use before making a decision.
Where to locate the pool/ the size of yard
You have the ability to locate the pool wherever you want. The important question to ask is what needs to be done to accommodate the pool in that location. The pool chosen should be able to fit in the area. Preparations to make the area suitable include flattening the area to make it level and clearing for accessibility.
Accessories that come with the pool
The pools come with some accessories that help in installation and maintenance. They include a ladder, pump, motor, liner, DVD, cover and skimmer. A pool that comes with most of the accessories is ideal. However, the quantity alone should not be considered as the quality is paramount.
The time of the year
The time of year affects the cost of the pools. When the summer season is on or approaching, the prices tend to be higher than in winter. It is advisable to purchase your preferred pool in the off season when it is cheaper.
How to maintain above ground pools
Upgrade the pump and filter if not working effectively to clean the pool. This is because most of the pump and filters are of poor quality and might fail to work. This is despite the frequent changing of sand and cartridges.
Place a floater filled with chlorine tablets in the pool always. The floater floats around the pool to clean and make the water crystal clear.
Vacuum the pool occasionally to clean the pool floor and remove any debris and sediments. Run the pump at least 2 hours a day and longer if the pool has more dirt than usual.
Use other chemicals apart from chlorine to clean the pool. For example, water clarifiers, the shock and an algae control chemical.
Ensure the pool is secured by a fence or covering that prevents pets and small children from falling into the pool.
The best above ground pool is determined by the needs of the user. From the eight pools described, I would recommend the first discussed. This is the Intex 18ft X 52in Ultra Frame Pool Set with Sand Filter Pump, Ladder, Ground Cloth & Pool Cover. It is the chosen among the best above ground pools because it is affordable. Its size is also appropriate to fit a decent number of people without increasing maintenance costs.
Also, the pool can be used with salt water systems. The pump that comes with the pool works efficiently to make the pool clear and hygienic. Finally, the accessories that accompany the pool are decent to make the experience of using the pool fun.